Stencils are a fun way to customize home decor! This stenciled adventure decor is easy to make and would be perfect for a cabin, kid’s room or family room.
Stencil provided by Stencil Revolution. All thoughts and content are my own.
We have this canoe-shaped bookcase that I absolutely love and I’ve wanted to add some fun decor to it for awhile now. This stencil was the perfect touch! I found paints that matched the bookcase and the actual painting was pretty quick.
- Adventure Awaits stencil
- Craft paint of your choice (I used a reddish brown, green, and tan)
- Brushes: craft and stencil
- Wood board
Make your stenciled adventure decor
*Note: we’re going for a rustic look, which is super forgiving. Don’t worry if every little detail doesn’t look perfect as you go – it will all come together for a great finished project.
- Start with painting the border. I used the stencil to create the border because it was easy! Arrange the stencil where you want it on the board, then use tape to secure it through the holes on the stencil.
- Paint the edges using a small amount of paint on a dry brush. Cover more or less, depending on how you like it. Let it dry completely.
- Carefully remove the tape keeping the stencil in place, then move the tape to hold down the edges or corners of the stencil.
- Paint the darkest areas of the stencil first.
- Mix a little tan to the green a few times to make it progressively lighter, then move across the stencil using lighter colors.
- Use a little dark green on the brush and dab around the edge of the stencil to create a little border. Carefully remove the stencil.
- Add a few light strokes of the green around the edge of the board to finish it off.
I love how it turned out and how it matches the shelves!
One thing I love about ordering from Stencil Revolution is their stencils come in different sizes. I wanted to make a sign, but if you wanted this stencil to go on your wall or a duvet cover or a host of other things, you can order much larger.
This post is part of the Inspire My Creativity Link Party! I’m hosting this link party with some blogging friends and each month we share our ideas to get your creative juices flowing. This month’s theme is STENCILS!
We’d love you to join in the fun- link up with us below!
Be sure to check out what the other hosts have made this month as well!
Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins
Christine | Swordfights & Starry Nights
Meg | See The Happy
Candice | She’s Crafty
Julia | The Quiet Grove
Marie | The Inspiration Vault
Brooke | My Beautiful Mess
Heather | Glitter On A Dime
Rachel | Adventures of a DIY Mom
Anna | Practical and Pretty
Cathy | A Boy and His Mom
Sarah | The Strawberry Nest
Adree | The Keele Deal
Aimee | Things Small and Simple
Alexandra | EyeLoveKnots
Need some ideas to keep kids busy so you can craft? Check these out!